Skip to main content

Hello, world!

"Hello, world!"
This is my first blog post on my first blog! yay!

Hey Sarah - what is the story behind the title, "n=1"?

Well, first a little bit about me and then the reasoning behind the title should become apparent (hopefully!):

I am a 32 year old lady residing in SW-PA and I am a PhD educated scientist. My dissertation work was on the molecular evolution of seminal proteins. During my doctoral studies it became apparent that I was interested in bringing together multiple 'omic fields (genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, etc.) to have a more complete understanding of how a particular phenotype manifests. I am currently now in a postdoctoral research position that allows me to explore different 'omic fields in a medical genomics project (I am doing research on how the microbiome, epigenome, and genome are related to - and how they interact to influence - childhood obesity).

With my scientific background I tend to approach most things in my life with the same need for information and evidence for truth - with the exception of my health and specifically with my experience of having a "headache condition". Seems logical right? Yeah, I didn't think so either.  To try and remedy this, I am going to begin to catalog my experience - what my headaches feel like, what my doctors say, what treatments I have tried or am trying and how they worked, what the side effects were, etc.

So, in short - I will be writing all about me and my experiences - aka a sample size of 1 (n=1) - but, I will bring in evidence from literature to help educate my decisions and try to explain side effects, design new experiments for me to try, etc.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned :)



Comments